What a difference a week makes. Only one week separated us from the normal daily existence we enjoy today, to one where you wouldn’t reading this because we would be foraging for food and struggling for survival: Armageddon, plucked from the pages of the novel STONE AGE by ML Banner would have happened.
Over the past few weeks, mainstream news has uncovered what we reported long ago; that the worst solar storm in recorded history missed the Earth by just one week. In other words, on July 22nd, 2012, two massive coronal mass ejections or CMEs were emitted, the combination of the two struck the exact orbital path the Earth traveled, but missed our world by a week: if the sun had emitted these CMEs only seven days sooner, it would have struck the Earth with more power than the Carrington Event of 1859.
The results of this strike we’ve covered in previous posts, and it’s scary stuff:
- Power grid down for years, maybe decades.
- No power means no water, no communications, no internet, no manufacturing, no delivery of supplies, and so on.
- Just about anything that has a computer or small circuit, will be overloaded & damaged by the induced current from the solar storm.
- Massive fires will erupt everywhere there is an excessive amount of conductive material: transmission lines, railroad tracks, buildings, electrical wiring, etc.
- Besides a worldwide economic collapse, we would have mass starvation in all the urban centers within two weeks.
- Mass death from violence and disease would add to the desolation our world would experience.
Yesterday, the billionaire manager of a multi-billion dollar hedge fund and then Bill O’Reilly of Fox News, among many others, jumped on the “I’m getting freeked out” band wagon. We’ll I say, it’s about time!
Whew, were off the hook now, right?
Wrong! We’ve been predicting between a 10% to 20% chance of a Carrington Event occurring in the next decade. So, consider this the warning shot. Truth is we may get ten of these types of solar flares over the next ten years or none. There is just no way to know for sure. However, we do know it will happen again.
So, if it happens, we’d just replace the transformers, right?
Sure, this sounds easy, but the truth is that each of the 4400 major transformers that make up our power grid cost several $million each and take up to two years each to manufacture and install, and that’s when the power is on. Further, most manufacturers are located outside of the US. You would needto ship each to the US, which again will be difficult considering the state of the world’s power, electronics, transportation, etc.
What’s to be done?
Okay, I’m not one to belabor the coulda-shoulda-woulda thinking. If it happens right now, we’re screwed. And because we can be pretty sure that it will happen at some point in the future, we need to take action now! We can shield all 4400 major transformers, so that the downtime would be maybe days rather than years or decades. Yes, there would still be pain and misfortune because of this, but we would have the power back on in a reasonable amount of time and most of our population would survive.
So, why doesn’t this happen?
Simple, our government does not have the political courage to take action. Our American politicians would rather fund a questionable science like anthropogenic global warming, now called “climate change”, rather than an event that is far more likely and would be far more devastating to our way of life. The cost to do this would be on the order of $200 billion. But, it could be done over a ten year period and then we could probably withstand whatever our sun shoots our way. This has already been proposed as a bill, called the Shield Act HR 2417, but it has only been introduced in the House, where it remains stalled today. Call your representatives and ask them why they don’t think this is important.
Even assuming that our politicians find some political courage – I’m not holding my breath – you and I need to prepare ourselves for the worst. What could you do in light of such a catastrophe? A lot actually but here’s a quick list:
- Get off the grid – This may not be possible because of zoning regulations, but you certainly can go solar.
- Store up non-perishable foods.
- Make sure you have access to fresh water (assume no power to pump).
- Store Other supplies for a minimum of one year.
- Get out of Dodge – well out of Manhattan or LA, etc. You don’t want to be in an urban center if this happens.
- Have a bug-out location. If you cannot or do not want to leave the city, have an alternative “bug-out” location you can go to.
- Learn skills – Learn some basics: how to hunt, shoot, farm, holistic medicine, basic paramedics, etc.
For more information on how to prepare for a CME event, download our free Solar Apocalypse Survival Guide.
So, what are you going to do after reading this? Are you just going to change the channel and ignore this, or are you going to take action while it is in the news and fresh on our minds? Call your representatives in the House and the Senate and get prepared.
Don’t say we didn’t warn you.